OURAY – Celebrate the end of summer at the 7th Annual Grillin’ & Chillin’ Brew & Music Fest next Saturday, Aug. 23.
The festival boasts a great line-up of live music, regional craft brewers and distillers, and barbecue served by local vendors and non-profits. Festivities run from 1 to 7 p.m. at Ouray’s Fellin Park near the Hot Springs Pool.
Entrance to Grillin’ & Chillin’ is free for all; beer-tasting costs $25 which includes a commemorative tasting glass.
Craft brewers from across the Western Slope of Colorado and eastern Utah will be showcased this year, as well as a handful of regional distilleries. Taste your way through the great variety of regional ales and spirits and be sure to chat with the friendly brewers and distillers who enjoy this event as much as the visitors do.
Throughout the day, festival-goers will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite brews. Participating brewers and distillers include: Horsefly Brewing Company, Avery Brewing, Palisade Brewery, Revolution Brewing, Ska Brewing, Copper Club Brewing Co., Two Rascals Brewing, Suds Brothers Brewery, Carver Brewing Co. and KJ Wood Distillers. The list continues to grow, stay tuned for updates.
Music for the brew fest is as diverse as the libations. This year, four talented acts will perform on the main stage at Ouray’s Fellin Park, one of the most beautiful outdoor concert venues around. Local favorite The Royal We kicks off the day, followed by The Shady Elders from Denver. The fun continues with full sets by Grand Junction’s Zolopht and rock band Fictionist from Provo, Utah finishing off the day.
The Grillin’ & Chillin’ Brew & Music Fest is a family and dog friendly event. Picnic blankets and Frisbees are welcome. Kids will have a blast jumping in the bounce house, racing in “Hogoballs” (human-sized hamster balls), and taking part in other kid-friendly festival activities.
Festival proceeds benefit the 2014 Mountain Air Music Series, which brings live music to Fellin Park on Thursday evenings each summer through the month of June.
Ouray County Heritage Weekend…
Grillin’ & Chillin’ is just one lively component of the upcoming Ouray County Heritage Weekend, which kicks off on Friday, Aug. 22 and features county-wide events that celebrate Ouray’s rich mining, ranching and cultural heritage.
Don’t miss the Highgraders’ Holidays mining contest on Saturday and Sunday at the Miners Park near the Ouray Hot Springs Pool, showcasing friendly competition in traditional mining skills like single-jacking, team drilling and mucking.
Additional Heritage activities include:
• Ouray County Museum: How the Local Mountains Got Their Names: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m., daily
• Ridgway Railroad Museum & Visitors Center: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., daily
• Ridgway Farmer’s Market: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Friday
• Elevate Day Spa: 2nd Annual Spa Night, 5-8 p.m., Friday
• Guided tour of Historical Main Street, Meet at Ouray County Museum, $10: 3-5 p.m., Saturday
• San Juan Chamber MusicFest: Classical Concert at the Wright Opera House: 7:30 p.m., Friday
• Ouray County Ranch History Museum in Colona: Branding Exhibit, noon-4 p.m., Saturday; 1-5 p.m., Sunday
• San Juan Chamber MusicFest: Free Family Concert at the Wright Opera House: 2 p.m., Saturday
• Ridgway State Park: Kids’ nature and heritage activities, Friday & Saturday evenings
For more information about the Grillin’ & Chillin’ Brew & Music Fest or other events happening during the Ouray Heritage Weekend visit ouraycolorado.com or call 970/325-4746.